Energetic and motivated individual needed to work as a Physician Assistant with a dynamic and collegial team. The Physician Assistant will work in collaboration with Internal Medicine Physicians in accordance with the college of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario’s policy on delegation and under Medical Directives. The Physician Assistant will work within an inter-professional collaborative team model with various disciplines providing assessment, treatment, rehabilitation and transitional support for patients with a broad range of complex medical co-morbidities. The Physician Assistant will demonstrate a strong theoretical knowledge base and clinical competence. This will involve collecting and interpreting current, historical and diagnostic information about the patient for the purpose of establishing a diagnostic formulation including the identification of risk factors.
The Physician Assistant will work in the Critical Care Unit and Acute Inpatient areas which offers the opportunity to work with a diverse patient population. As part of the inter-professional team, quality improvement will be part of the PA’s role and he/she will have an opportunity to research and perform administrative responsibilities. Responsibilities will also include coordinating and participating in policy and procedure development as well as education and professional development. They will act as a resource and consultant to individuals and groups within our professional community and other agencies and hospitals.
The physician Assistant will be involved in collecting and interpreting current, historical and diagnostic information about the patient for the purpose of establishing a diagnosis and treatment plan. The Physician Assistant will have the opportunity to work with a diverse patient population.
Principal responsibilities include of the Physician Assistant will include but not limited to:
- Participate in patient treatment and goal setting
- Conduct patient interviews and take medical histories
- Perform physical examinations and interpret findings
- Organize laboratory and diagnostic investigations
- Participate in the screening/assessment/management of dynamic risk factors
- Perform certain controlled acts under medical directives delegated by the internal medicine group
- Counsel patients on preventive healthcare and chronic disease management
- Organize follow-up appointment with patients from hospital to community partners
- Collaborate with both inpatient and outpatient multidisciplinary teams
- Graduate of an accredited Physician Assistant Degree/Program
- Member in good standing with the Canadian Association of Physicians Assistants
- Member in good standing with the Canadian Council of Canada is an asset
- Current BCLS/ACLS Certification (recent as of one year) required
- Clinical Placements in in-patient medicine is an asset
- Experience with Meditech Expanse is an asset
- Must have or be able to obtain certification of added skills and delegated medical acts specific to the departments by the end of the orientation period
- Excellent verbal and written communication required
- Ability to function both independently and as an active member of the multidisciplinary team in caring for all patients
- Involved in continuing education on an ongoing basis and demonstrate commitment to quality improvement required
- Good attendance work record required
- Computer application experience preferred
- Must demonstrate commitment to ensure your safety, the safety of fellow workers, patients, volunteers and visitors
- Bilingualism (Advanced level English/French) is required. All unilingual candidates are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the identified French requirement has been met or there are no successful bilingual candidates. A formal French test will be conducted to evaluate the proficiency level.
The hours worked by the PA include a rotational schedule including weekdays and weekends, no overnight call, Evening hours included. Salary competitive.
REPORTS TO: Department of Medicine Medical Director, Medical Director/Chief of Department and Manager of Critical Care.
Criminal Reference Check including the Vulnerable Sector Check: recent within six (6) months is a requirement
Interested candidates are asked to submit your resume and cover letter quoting File NU CS-22-046 to: email@example.com or using the INQUIRE button on this listing.