Come work as a Social Worker with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Social Worker with a Master's Degree to join a ground-breaking new department associated with the Acute Medicine Program at Vancouver General Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
A healthcare team, including a doctor, nurse, and other specialists, delivers care to the patient through a combination of in-person home visits and virtual visits (via phone and/or video). If you are passionate about offering patient-centered care and looking for a new professional challenge, this opportunity might be for you.
As a Social Worker in the Hospital at Home team you will:
- Be responsible for providing advanced clinical and consultative social work services to clients and families focusing on how the client’s relationships are affected by their environment.
- Provide Social Work services to clients such as:
- conducting social and psychosocial assessments;
- and providing individual, family and group counselling services.
- Maintain client records.
- Attend interdisciplinary clinical/case conferences.
- Identify applicable community resources for clients and facilitate care throughout the continuum.
About the Hospital at Home Program:
The Hospital at Home program caters to patients who meet specific medical stability criteria, providing them with hospital-level care within their residences rather than within the traditional hospital setting. Despite receiving care at home, these patients are considered inpatients. They receive daily in-person care from a dedicated, multidisciplinary team of hospital clinicians, supplemented by virtual visits and remote patient monitoring. The Hospital at Home care is short-term and accessible around the clock, every day of the year.
Education & Experience
- Master of Social Work from an accredited School of Social Work and one (1) year post Bachelor of Social Work experience in a health care setting.
- Current full registration with the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
- Valid BC Driver’s License may be required as local area travel may require the use of a vehicle, and will be noted on the posting.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Broad knowledge of systems thinking as it related to social work process.
- Broad knowledge of other health disciplines and their role in healthcare.
- Broad knowledge of research methodology.
- Broad knowledge of counselling skills and clinical practice models.
- Broad knowledge of family, group and change therapy.
- Broad knowledge of legislation and government policies and procedures that relate to the client.
- Demonstrated ability to apply systems theory to practice in Social Work assessment and intervention.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct social and psychosocial assessments.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and influence group and inter-group processes, decision-making and problem solving.
- Demonstrated ability to establish rapport with clients and families in order to explore issues that are beyond the initial presented concerns.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with clients, families, team members, other groups and community agency personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to new or unexpected events.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with conflict situations.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Skilled in the use of equipment, and in the techniques appropriate for treatment.
- Ability to operate related equipment including applicable software applications.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
Applicants with a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) degree from an accredited School of Social Work, and a demonstrated equivalent combination of education, training and experience may be considered. If you are applying under equivalency, please clearly outline in your application how your knowledge, education, skills and experience meet Master of Social Work (MSW) equivalency.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders, as of October 5, 2023, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have received a single dose of the most-recent, updated COVID-19 vaccine. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2023.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.