Come work as a Wellness Support Worker with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)! Relocation Assistance may be available.
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Wellness Support Worker to join the team in Bella Coola, BC. Apply today to join our team!
Vancouver Coastal Health is committed to valuing diversity within our workforce. VCH encourages Indigenous applicants (who identify as Indigenous including First Nations, Metis or Inuit), who may not possess all required qualifications but would become job ready through Employer provided training, orientation or mentoring, to apply.
As a Wellness Support Worker with Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Work as a member of an interdisciplinary community health team.
- Provide a variety of day-to-day physical, emotional and social supports, advocacy, life skills assistance, information, resources and demonstrations to designated population groups in the community.
- Report back to interdisciplinary team on clients’ progress and condition.
- Establish working relationships with various agencies.
- Co-facilitate support groups, cultural activities and public education.
ABOUT BELLA COOLA, BC
Bella Coola sits in a mountain valley at the head of the North Bentinck Channel, 500 km north of Vancouver, with a population of about 1800 people. The community is at the end of a long, truly magnificent fjord, on the mainland coast of British Columbia. Bella Coola General Hospital has 10 acute bed, 5 long term care beds and a 3 bed emergency department open 24/7, along with a laboratory, diagnostic imaging services, Telehealth, Mental Health, Public Health, Home & Community Support Services. Also within the hospital are a medical clinic and a pharmacy.
Education & Experience
- Completion of a certificate in a Community Social Service or related program and two (2) years of recent, related experience working with designated population group or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- For worksites that require driving to various locations, Valid class V BC Driver’s license.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to deal with others effectively.
- Ability to prioritize and organize client demands made and care needs.
- Demonstrated ability to practice from a harm reduction approach.
- Knowledge of legislation such as the Mental Health Act and the Adult Guardianship Act
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and nurture an environment of quality, trauma informed and culturally safe care.
- Demonstrated ability to actively support clients through to emotionally positive resolution and/or development of successful coping strategies.
- Ability to problem solve.
- Ability to teach life skills.
- Sound judgment and good observation skills.
- Ability to demonstrate an appropriate level of initiative and independence.
- Ability to work cooperatively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to promote positive change and independence.
- Ability to maintain a focused and differentiated approach while addressing challenging situations or issues.
- Physical and emotional ability to carry out the duties of the position.
- Ability to operate related equipment.
- Advocacy skills.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
As per the current Public Health Orders (Long Term Care/Seniors Assisted Living Provincial Health Officer Order and the Health Sector Order), as of October 26, 2021, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2023.Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.
Apply on the VCH website.