Come work as a Medical Technologist 2 with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Medical Technologist to join the Bone Marrow Transplant/Leukemia Program at Vancouver General Hospital. Apply today to join our team!
As a Medical Technologist with VCH you will:
- Work with other interprofessional members of the Leukemia/BMT Program to organize unrelated stem cell and bone marrow donor searches including initiating the search and analyzing the HLA results of potential donors.
- Liaise with internal sources and external organizations to obtain specimens and exchange information.
- Complete and maintain required documentation and records to ensure databases and client information are up-to-date.
- Collaborate with others participating in team activities and professional committees to improve the quality of care and services.
Education & Experience
- Certified by the Canadian Society for Medical Laboratory Science (CSMLS).
- One (1) year recent, related experience working in immunology lab and histocompatibility techniques, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of medical technology theory and practice within a patient/family centred care model.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the standards of practice and guidelines for medical technologists.
- Demonstrated knowledge of VCH policies, procedures and standards of care.
- Demonstrated knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Demonstrated knowledge of research methodology and processes.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively deal with others in a consultative/collaborative method.
- Demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize work.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, physicians, and other health care staff, both one-on-one and in groups.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to new or unexpected situations.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of medical equipment and in techniques appropriate to the area.
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively in emergency situations and guide others in order to deliver quality client care.
- Demonstrated computer literacy to operate a computerized patient care information system as well as word processing skills.
- Physical ability to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
As per the current Public Health Orders, as of October 5, 2023, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have received a single dose of the most-recent, updated COVID-19 vaccine. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2023.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.