Come work as a Recreation Therapist with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Recreation Therapist to join the Psychiatry Team at Richmond Hospital in Richmond, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Recreation Therapist with Vancouver Coastal Health, you will:
- Work in a team based environment and ensure the provision of Recreation Therapy services in designated programs focused on designated clients, and coordinates and participates in quality improvement and risk management initiatives, meetings, research and education.
- Provide Recreation Therapy assessments/interventions as required and provides work direction to designated students, staff and volunteers.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor or Master's in Therapeutic Recreation or Leisure Studies from an accredited university.
- Two (2) years' recent, related experience working with the designated population group in the applicable program area/setting, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Eligible for certification and CTRS credential with National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC).
Knowledge & Abilities
- Comprehensive knowledge of evidence-based Recreation Therapy practice related to applicable program health issues and treatment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of theories and concepts of therapeutic recreation, leisure, social psychology and current trends and practice in designated areas.
- Comprehensive knowledge of recreation therapy theory and practice within a client and family centred model of care.
- Comprehensive knowledge of organizing therapeutic recreation services including the development of a written plan or operation.
- Comprehensive knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in client care.
- Broad knowledge of research process and methodology.
- Demonstrated ability to function as a team member, leader, and facilitator.
- Demonstrated ability to teach clients and co-workers both one-on-one and in groups.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, other health care staff, clients and their families, both one-on-one and in groups.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate Recreation Therapy concepts and theories in a variety of settings.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in collaboration with others.
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective consultation.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities in collaboration with others.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Skill in the use of equipment, and in techniques appropriate to the treatment of clients with a rehabilitation/degenerative disease or disability and/or mental health issue.
- Documented involvement as a research investigator and/or published researcher.
- Basic computer literacy.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
As per the current Public Health Orders, as of October 5, 2023, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have received a single dose of the most-recent, updated COVID-19 vaccine. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2023.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.