Come work as a Social Worker 1 with Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Social Worker 1 to join the Sunshine Coast Adult Mental Health team in Sechelt, BC. Apply today to join our team!
As a Social Worker with the Adult Mental Health team, you will:
- Be responsible for providing clinical and consultative social work services to clients and families.
- Perform duties including:
- conducting social assessments,
- providing counselling services,
- maintaining records,
- attending interdisciplinary clinical/case conferences,
- identifying applicable community resources for clients,
- facilitating care throughout the continuum.
ABOUT SECHELT, BC
Sechelt is located on the traditional territories of the shíshálh (Sechelt) Nation and is approximately 50 km northwest of Vancouver. It is accessible from the mainland by a 40-minute ferry trip between Horseshoe Bay and Langdale, followed by a 25-minute drive along Highway 101, also know as the Sunshine Coast Highway. This charming seaside community is know for its natural beauty and is a popular destination for outdoor activities including sightseeing, boating, diving, camping, and mountain biking. There are also several municipal parks, plenty of eateries, locally owned shops, boutiques and galleries, and a golf course. Imagine a lifestyle where you are only a short walk or bike ride to work, you go home for lunch and you are home again in time for an activity or go for a hike AND watch the sunset - all before dinner. That is what Sechelt has to offer you!
Education & Experience
- Bachelor of Social Work from an accredited School of Social Work.
- One (1) year post Bachelor of Social Work experience or successful completion of a practicum preferably in a health care setting.
- Current full registration with the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Basic knowledge of systems thinking as it relates to social work process.
- Basic knowledge of counselling skills.
- Basic knowledge of other health disciplines and their role in healthcare.
- Basic knowledge of legislation and government policies and procedures that relate to the client.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct social assessments.
- Demonstrated ability to apply systems theory to practice in Social Work assessment and intervention.
- Demonstrated ability to draw out and honour information that will contribute to understanding the clients’ situation.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing with clients, families, team members and community agency personnel.
- Demonstrated ability to adjust to new or unexpected events.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with conflict situations.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
- Physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
- Basic Computer literacy.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes.
As per the current Public Health Orders, as of October 5, 2023, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have received a single dose of the most-recent, updated COVID-19 vaccine. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2023.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.