Are you the next Social Worker at Vancouver Coastal Health (VCH)? Apply today to join our team!
Vancouver Coastal Health is looking for a Social Worker Care Home Consultant to join the team working out of Three Bridges Community Health Centre in Vancouver, BC. Apply today!
As a Social Worker - Care Home Consultant at Vancouver Coastal Health you will:
- Provide comprehensive services to long term care residents to achieve and maintain optimal health outcomes.
- Provide consultation within an assigned long-term care portfolio related to resident transitions, finances and safety.
- Faciltate communication between families, residents and care homes and be a Designated Responder under the Adult Guardianship Act.
Education & Experience
- Current full registration with the British Columbia College of Social Workers.
- Master’s degree in Social Work from an accredited educational institution.
- Two (2) years’ recent, related experience in community health including experience in home care, long term care and/or geriatric assessment centres, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Valid BC Driver’s license and local area travel may require the use of a vehicle.
Knowledge & Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of the geriatric population and associated care issues related to this population.
- Demonstrated knowledge of legislation and government policies and procedures as it relates to the rights of resident, protection of vulnerable adults and obligations of staff.
- Ability to apply legislation to practice, (e.g., AGA, MHA, HCCCFAA, FOIPPA, Patient’s Property Act).
- Demonstrated ability to apply Trauma Informed Principles to practice.
- Demonstrated ability to apply culturally safe and competent care to various/multiple ethnic groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of health care ethics and ability to incorporate ethical decision making in practice.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the current long term care service delivery system.
- Demonstrated understanding of the broad determinants of health.
- Comprehensive knowledge of provincial legislation and Health Authority standards and policies related to Long Term Care Access Policy and to the broad determinants of health.
- Demonstrated knowledge of hospital discharge processes, including Alternate Level of Care.
- Broad knowledge of other health care disciplines and their role in resident care and the ability to recognize when referrals to other health care professional(s) is required and appropriate.
- Basic knowledge of evidence-based clinical practice related to designated program/area.
- Demonstrated ability to apply the skills of facilitation, mediation and conflict resolution to practice.
- Demonstrates sound judgment and critical thinking skills
- Demonstrated ability to apply analytical/investigative skills and the knowledge to effectively gather, maintain and analyze statistics.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with and deal effectively with co-workers, physicians, other health care staff, residents and their families/care givers, and staff of outside agencies both one on one and in groups, orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated ability to independently plan, organize and prioritize work, adapt to a changing workload and work under deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to change and adjust to new or unexpected events.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in collaboration with others as an effective team member, consultant and leader.
- Demonstrated ability to establish workload priorities and apply time management skills to prioritize and complete assignments and schedule activities in a manner that optimizes effectiveness.
- Demonstrated ability to operate related equipment including applicable software applications.
- Demonstrated physical ability to perform the duties of the position.
The hours of work including days off and work area may be subject to change consistent with operational requirements and the provision of the Collective Agreement and applicable statutes. Successful applicants may be required to complete a Criminal Records Review Check.
As per the current Public Health Orders, as of October 5, 2023, all employees working for Vancouver Coastal Health must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 or have received a single dose of the most-recent, updated COVID-19 vaccine. Proof of vaccination status will be required.
WHY JOIN VANCOUVER COASTAL HEALTH?
VCH is a world class innovator in medical care, research and teaching, delivering service to more than one million BC residents. At VCH, we embrace thinking boldly, taking smart risks, and "going first" when we believe it will lead to the best possible outcomes for patients and their families. We invite you to join us in creating healthy lives in healthy communities by showcasing our passion for care, connection to the communities we serve and our culture of teamwork that makes VCH a great place to work.
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including MSP, extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Wellness supports, including counselling, critical incident and innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
- Award-winning recognition programs to honour staff, medical staff and volunteers
- Access to exclusive discount offers and deals for VCH staff
Equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to our goals of creating a great place to work and delivering exceptional care. We acknowledge and accommodate unique differences and ensure special measures are in place so that all prospective and current employees are given an opportunity to succeed.
We are committed to building a representative workforce and encourage applications reflecting diversity of sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, racialization or ancestry, disability, political belief, religion, marital or family status, age, and/or status as a First Nation, Metis, Inuit, or Indigenous person.
Vancouver Coastal Health is proud to be recognized as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers in 2023.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for this posting.